Sunday, November 17, 2013

My New Favorite Find AND I'm NOT a Blow up Doll.

Hi again Middle Ragers,

Well, we're back on again for hopefully a more productive autumn season than our debacle of a summer. With my work and Heather's kids, we've been totally remiss and apologize for our failure to deliver fresh and informative content.  Let's try again!

First, as my friend Margaret said to me tonight, over a great glass of Sauvignon Blanc at our sexy, sophisticated friend's Isabel's house,  "I love wine. I love it in San Francisco or Argentina or Hudson, Ohio. I love the way it tastes. I love the way it makes me feel."

Tru dat, Margaret. We agree.

So I want to recommend a new favorite find.  Actually, I've been into this for months but have failed to disclose it because I never write anymore due to some inexplicable block.  It's this great Podcast -- Wine For Normal People.

This great young lady (now a sommelier)  takes you through all different types of wines from Bordeaux to Malbecs to Champagne each and every week in a unique podcast -- Wine For Normal People. She teaches you how to learn about wine, the region, the tastes, the experience, AND she dumbs it down for normal people.  She also gives you great recommendations about affordable wines that you can buy and share with you friends and family.  It's awesome. Download it NOW.  It's great to listen to while you cook and DRINK WINE!

My second piece to discuss today is: I will not be a blow up doll is about dating (another one of my favorite topics).  I had a date last week with this great guy who is smart and sophisticated and charming and not a player, to boot (imaging that).  BUT (and there is always a but clause), all he did really was talk about himself -- a lot (and I mean a lot) about his kids, then more about the kids, then the job and then the puppy that was coming this weekend.  I find that on these dates (and this one by the way lasted FOUR hours), I suddenly, somehow, become a blow up doll.  I have a cord that can easily be pulled with 4-5 stock responses:  "Wow, that's great your kid is doing so well! Sounds like you have a great kid."
Or "Wow, sounds like you have a great job and are doing really well at it! Good for you!
Or "Wow, sounds like you had a rough day. I can see why you are so stressed out!"

I mean, really. Really? Is that all you guys want -- some blow up doll to just sit there and listen and nod her head up and down? Pull her cord and few (and similar) stock answers come up? I have also (by the way) noticed this same pattern in men I do work with professionally.  They also just want to talk and have a blow up doll next to them.  They also ALL want to show you there iPhone Photos of everything that is of interest to them and of zero interest to you -- their kids, their dogs, their travels. I mean WTF? Do you think I whip open my iPhone and make people look at my nieces, my recent furniture purchases, my vacations, my friends? Especially when they never even asked to look at the same.
Men, come on, if you want a doll, get a doll. There actually very inexpensive, pretty and durable.
Not a bad investment. However, if you want to be a real person (not a doll), engage with a real persons.
If you want to go on a date with me, ask me SOMETHING about me.  Try maybe just a little bit to get to know me instead of showing me pictures about your life.  I'm kind of  done with the blow up doll thing.  You're going to have to get a real one next time.  And maybe that will actually suffice.  I think you can have sex with them too??

More soon ragers.... C.

1 comment: