Monday, November 18, 2013

Where Are The Hybrids?

All summer I dated a player.  Creative, charming, hot and unavailable.  I'm sure he is on to the next one already.  But he sure was interesting and a lot of fun.

Last week, I went out with a really nice normal guy.  He confirmed our plans in advance. He doesn't text (a hallmark characteristic of the players who are just too busy to even pick up the phone and call you), and he is a perfect gentlemen.  This is the kind of guy I should be dating. Everyone says it.

However, these guys... they're just so boring.  I kept trying to talk about things other than his kids or work, but we never go that far. I wanted to talk about my favorite shows on ShowTime on Demand (although as aforementioned, I am not ShowTime On Demand, I do like ShowTime on Demand) or cool restaurants or good vacation spots.  But we didn't get that far.  My eyes kind of glazed over after a bit, and I nodded and winked like a blow up doll.

Saturday night, by pure random chance, while raging with my college bestie, I met a fairly handsome but clearly fun loving guy.  He bought our drinks and our dinner, offered us cigarettes, more Vodka and begged me to go out with him.  But I just knew this guy was bad news.  Too charming, too much booze, you know the type.  I later found out from some friends of friends that he has a drinking problem and is, you guessed it, a player.

So, I want to know (and many of my girlfriends want to know), where are the hybrids?  Where are the guys with good values and decent manners who also like to drink and travel and listen to edgy music or read Italian poetry?  They exist. I know they do.  I've dated them, but they all appear to have vanished.  You get either total boredom or total fun because of the anxiety produced by knowing this guy is a player and going to leave you at anytime.  I think I'm a hybrid -- although I may border on the more unstable vs stable side of the equation. I have some very cool girlfriends who are hybrids -- but I feel we are caught in this trap of boring Bills or Loose Louie's.  At this point, I think I may prefer the  latter.  At least you can get about 3 to 3.5 months of good restaurants,  good wine, hot sex and some laughs.  Jury is still out though.....

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should give those "boring" guys another chance. They are probably just nervous on the first date. My husband would be considered "boring" but he is a really great catch! Kind and classy and fun at the same time.

    ReplyDelete