Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Whenever/Whatever


Hello Ragers,

It is regrettable.  But we are currently suffering (yet again) from another middle RAGE.

Heather and I discussed these phrases: "Whatever" or "Whenever" recently in the context of a guy I recently started dating, and we decided the use of these teenage phrases, with the connotation of complete indifference and apathy, are probably the worst thing you could say to anyone. It's like saying, "you don't even merit a response so I'm going to leave you with some vague answer like "whatever".

I hate it. And I'm going to start using it regularly with my enemies.

So, here's thing thing, and hence the rage... this I guy I recently started dating, texted me after our last date (myriad times mind you) to tell me how much fun he had and how he wanted to get together again very soon, etc. etc. and blah blah. You know the drill of these texters non talkers.  In any event, when I saw him briefly last week, he said (as we departed),  "well, when will I see you again?  (A pregnant pause). Well, I guess I'll see you "whenever."  I, in shock, said "Okay, see you whenever."

Whenever??? What does that mean exactly? Does that mean never? Does that mean soon? O Whenever I feel like fucking calling you?

We wholeheartedly and unequivocally reject this word.  We also reject the word "whatever."  Had I been on my A game, I should have responded "Well, let's do whatever.... whenever."

It has set me into a middle RAGE.

So here's the thing, if you don't know the answer to something, just say nothing.  Nothing is a much better response than whatever or whenever.  Those are undignified and non creative responses.
We would expect something more.  MUCH more.

Christine and Heather

1 comment:

  1. How old is this man? I also agree--"whatever" implies you don't care enough to respond properly. How about "Well, let me touch base with you in a few days and we can make plans?" That sounds so much better than "Let's do whatever, whenever!"

    ReplyDelete