Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sliding up to the barre (not bar)

Greetings Ragers,

Ok, after years and years of running, Heather and I have decided we have to shake it up and try something new. This running just isn't kicking it, and it's certainly not addressing nor alleviating the the tough spots.

We keep reading over and over that post-40, you have to lift more and build up more lean body muscle mass. In fact, lifting now is supposed to be a lot more important than all that cardio we have been doing.

Recently, I have started taking barre classes at my yoga studio.  I'm sure you have heard of these absolutely hellish classes comprised of plias and releves and attitudes -- think old school ballet class.
Well... I am sticking to it because I honestly can say that I haven't taken a class in years where my legs shake and then literally give out.  I don't think there really is anything harder than this class, but it definitely gets easier as time goes on.

Although I would MUCH prefer to be at the bar, I'm now sliding up to the barre. I have decided to begin at home the Physique 57 program -- 57 minutes of barre with some pilates mat.  I will be reporting my findings online on our blog.  Allegedly, you see results after 8 sessions which means I only have to do this 4 times per week.  In fact, if you already workout in a gym, they say you only have to do it 2 times per week.

Why did I choose this program? Because it is big in NYC and Beverly Hills.  And we all know those people look way better than we do. And Mindy Kaling (my fav) does it.  And it is less then one hour, and I can't work out for more than an hour ever.  And I can do it at home. It's hard to make those barre classes at all these random times.  Finally, 4 times per week doesn't sound un-doable. 5-6 times per week does.  I also travel a lot, and I can order it online and rent it for 2 days and do it in my hotel.

Heather isn't convinced yet. She's going back to heavy lifting 4-5 times/week.  But I think this has to work.  I mean have you ever see a ballerina with a bad body?

Stay tuned. I'll be keeping you updated on results.

No comments:

Post a Comment