Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mama Was Right


Today's post is from guest contributor Ann Williams:

It's not like hitting 40 isn't bad enough.  Try having your mother rub it in your face and send you her regular unsolicited advice on how to dress appropriately in middle age.  Today I got a phone call from my mother, a lovely conservative Southern woman from Baton Rouge, with the following message left on my cell phone.

"Hey, this is your mama. I'm watching this show on the television called 'What Not to Wear.' They're talking about how women over 35 should not wear miniskirts. You should watch it. Love you. Bye."

*blink*

A few days later I was in a dressing room, feeling sassy and trying on cute skirts. (Quick aside: I no longer even attempt to try on shorts, but will stop short of saying women of any age should not wear them - I just know that these days, I cannot.) So I slipped on a skirt and was disappointed to discover that it hit about three inches above my knee.

"Oh, dear," I thought. "This is not something someone my age should wear."

Oh Mama.  What else were you right about?

So let's discuss.  Mini skirt or not post 35?  Regrettably, I say NOT.

(Christine's response)
I feel you, sister!  Yesterday, my mom who also regularly opines on my "outfits" said:

"Are you going to grow your hair any longer than that?"

"What do you mean? I like my hair.  I get a lot of compliments on it."

"I like it, too, dear.  I just don't think it should be much longer...not at your..."

"AGE? You mean my AGE?"  I finished her sentence for her as I went into a middle age RAGE.

"Yes. I just think you girls shouldn't go past shoulder length."

So let's discuss this one, too.  Hair length post 40? How long is too long?